35 Illuminating LGBTQ Panel Discussion Questions to Spark ConversationSeptember 29, 2021
Demonstration Panel Format to Discuss Best PracticesOctober 20, 2021
I’m writing the next Powerful Panels book to answer panelists’ frequently asked questions. I would LOVE to hear the specific questions you have about being a panelist.
Here’s my list of questions and I’m building it as I get ideas. What am I missing? Anyone who contributes a new question will receive a digital copy of the book!
- Why would they pick me?
- Why should I say yes?
- Can I expect to be paid? What about travel expenses?
- Who briefs me?
- When and how do they brief me, individually and/or with the other panelists?
- What kind of research do I need to do?
- What kind of preparation do I need to do? (talking points, examples, questions?)
- How do I craft a meaningful and memorable nugget?
- Do I need to do some practice/role playing?
- Do I have to present something?
- Do I have to put together a slideshow?
- How do I flag topics I want to avoid or minimize?
Structure, Format, and Flow
- Moderator-curated questions
- Audience Q&A
- Other audience interaction
- Closing call to action
- Anything else we need to know?
- What information does the meeting organizer/moderator need from me?
- Staging – what do I need to know?
- Where should I sit?
- Microphones – can I ask for one? How do I talk in a handheld microphone
- What do I bring?
- What do I wear?
- Virtual staging/lighting and sound – what do I need to know/do?
- Remote panelist – what do I need to know/do?
- What about slides? Can I use them? Any guidelines?
- Should I meet up with the meeting organizer, panel moderator and/or panelists?
- Should I mingle with the audience before and/or after?
What to do/What not to do
- Best practices?
- Top 10 mistakes?
- How to appropriately promote your book, product, company?
- How to distinguish yourself/stand out?
Dealing with Concerns
- How to calm my nerves!
- I’m an introvert. How do I jump in the discussion?
- What to do when it’s not great…
How to Create and Engage in the Conversation
- How to bring in a controversial point of view?
- How to disagree without being disagreeable?
- How to connect with the audience (in-person and virtual)?
- Ways to make my message memorable?
- How to jump into the conversation?
- How to encourage the audience to take action?
- How to answer the curveball/gotcha question?
- How to build a bridge between the question and the answer?
- Who do I answer to?
- How to thank the meeting organizer, panel moderator and/or fellow panelists?
- What if I want to be on more panels?
I’d love to hear your ideas of what needs to be in this definitive book for panelists on a panel discussion!
For more information about how to moderate a lively & informative panel discussion, check out our free 7-part video series on how to moderate a panel and other resources to help you organize, moderate, or be a panel member.