Kristin is the Rules Analyst for the 2019-20 Presidential Debate Season
The 2019-20 Presidential Debate season is a hot mess. Most pundits are going to discuss what each candidate said. I’ll take a fresh and different angle: How did the moderators impact the discussion? Smackdown or Run Wild?
I am the leading authority on moderating panel discussions. I literally wrote the book on it. Much like a football rules analyst, I comment on how objective, skilled and fair the debate moderators were immediately after each debate.
I’ll provide real-time data to back up my assertions:
- Do the moderators follow their own ground rules?
- Are the questions posed objectively?
- Is the airtime equally distributed – or did one candidate have an unfair advantage?
- Do the moderators intervene appropriately?
It’s a unique angle that hasn’t been reported…unless the debate goes off the rails. Which it will. The debates will be skewed, biased and crowded. And I’ll be there (live or Zoom) to report on all the salacious details for you.
Democratic Primary Debates 2019 (along with links to my commentary):
- June 26 and June 27, 2019 – Miami, FL – Savannah Guthrie, Lester Holt, Chuck Todd, Rachel Maddow and José Diaz-Balart
- July 30-1, 2019 – Detroit, MI – Dana Bash, Don Lemon and Jake Tapper
- September 12, 2019 – Houston, TX – George Stephanopoulos, David Muir, Linsey Davis, and Jorge Ramos
- October 15, 2019 – Westerville, OH – Anderson Cooper, Erin Burnett, and Marc Lacey
- November 20, 2019 – Atlanta, GA – Rachel Maddow, Andrea Mitchell, Ashley Parker, and Kristen Welker
- December 19, 2019, Los Angeles – Judy Woodruff, Amna Nawaz, Tim Alberta, Yamiche Alcindor,
- How Moderators Influence the Debate
- 16 Types of Questions Debate Moderators Asked in 2019
Democratic Primary Debates 2020 (along with links to my commentary):
- January 14, 2020 – CNN/Des Moines Register Democratic Debate
- February 7, 2020 – ABC/WMUR Democratic Debate
- February 19, 2020 – MSNBC/NBC News Democratic Debate
- February 25, 2020 – CBS News Democratic Debate
- March 2020 – March Democratic Debate
- April 2020 – April Democratic Debate
Presidential Debates 2020:
- First presidential debate: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 – 9pm to 10:30pm ET – University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
- Vice presidential debate: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 – 9pm to 10:30pm ET – The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- Second presidential debate: Thursday, October 15, 2020 – 9pm to 10:30pm ET – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Third presidential debate: Thursday, October 22, 2020 – 9pm to 10:30pm ET – Belmont University, Nashville, TN
Here are some examples of reporting done for the 2016 Presidential debates:
- 2016 Third Presidential Debate – Chris Wallace – October 21, 2016
- 206 Second Presidential Debate, – Anderson Cooper/Martha Raddatz – October 10, 2016
- 2016 First Presidential Debate – Lester Holt – September 27, 2016
- 2015 Republican Primary Presidential Debate – Carl Quintanilla/Becky Quick/John Harwood/Jim Cramer – October 29, 2015
- 2015 Republican Primary Presidential Debate – Bret Baier/Megyn Kelly/Chris Wallace – August 9, 2015
- 2015 Democratic Primary Presidential Debate – Martha Raddatz/David Muir – December 21, 2015
- 12 Moderator Mishaps that Derail a Presidential Debate
Get your Presidential Debate Moderator Report Card example here:
2019-20 Presidential Debate Media Interviews (Audio):
- Morning Information Center & Open Mic (WTSN) – June 28, October 16
- Overnight America (KMOX) – June 27, July 31, August 16, September 12, October 16, November 20, December 19, January 14, February 10
- Hey! It’s Corey Hepola (WCCO) – June 26
- The Joel Riley Show (WTVN) – October 16, November 21
- Politics Done Right Podcast – October 16, January 10
2019-20 Presidential Debate Media Interviews (Video):
- Politics Done Right, January 10
2019-20 Presidential Debate Articles:
- ValueWalk – November 21, December 20, January 9
- Lucriasa Financial – November 21, December 20, January 9
Award-winning author Kristin Arnold is an expert panel moderator and professional meeting facilitator. Featured on ABC and NBC as well as numerous publications such as Forbes, Harvard Business Update, USA Today, and Selling Power, Kristin knows what it takes to lead, facilitate and participate on high performing teams.
As the past President of the National Speakers Association of the United States (2010-11) and one of the first female graduates of the United States Coast Guard Academy, Kristin brings 20 years of practical team building experience to your audience. She has worked with small businesses to Fortune 500 companies and is equally adept on the shop floor as she is in the executive boardroom.
Recent Media about Panels!
- Press Releases:
- Boring to Bravo wins Axiom Book Award March 26, 2012
- Survey Reports 63% of Panel Discussions are Mediocre or Much Worse March 18, 2014
- How to Be a Paid Speaker, ABC News, November 2009.
- From Mediocre to (Almost) Perfect: Reinvigorate Your Panel Discussions. Midwest Meetings, Fall 2014
- Moderating Panel Discussions: Speaker Magazine, August 2014
- How to Moderate a Panel Discussion: Tips for Facilitating a Riveting Exchange of Ideas. Toastmaster Magazine, April 2015 and March 2018
- Bring Your General Sessions to Life Using Theater-In-The-Round, MeetingsNet Magazine, July 2016 pp. 46-49
- Ten Ways to Add More Pizzazz to Your Panel Discussions, Toastmaster Magazine, November 2016
- Escalating Interventions: A Six-Point Plan to Prevent Problems on your Panel, Speaker Magazine, May 2018
- How to Improve Your Meeting’s Panel Discussion, Successful Meetings, January, 2020
- Toastmaster Podcast, August 2015
- Blog Postings:
- Powerful Panels Report. Meetings Design Institute, April 2014.
- Time to Deep-Six the Panel? MeetingsNet, April 2014.
- Top 10 Reasons Your Panel Discussions Might Fail, Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA), June 2015.
- 5 Ways to Turn Panels from Boring to Brilliant, MeetingsNet, October 2015.
- Time to Rev-Up with a Rapid-Fire Panel? MeetingsNet, May 2016.
- Bring Your General Sessions to Life with Theater-In-The-Round, MeetingsNet, June 2016
- 10 Tips to Improve Panel Discussions, Smart Meetings Magazine, Sept 12, 2016
- Take Cues from Pop Culture to Power Up Your Panel Discussions, Associations Now, March 2017
- What Seating Arrangements Reveal About a Meeting’s Culture, Associations Now, March 2017
- How to Liven Up a Panel Discussion, Connect Associations, Sept 19, 2017
- Panel Protocol: Top Ten Panel Tips to Boost Success, Midwest Meetings, March 11, 2019